Kitchen fire damages apartments in Holyoke

Smoke and fire could not be seen from the outside

HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – Holyoke residents were forced out of their homes Tuesday evening after a fire started in a three story apartment building on Gerard Way.

According to Holyoke FD Capt. Anthony Cerruti, the fire started around 4:20 p.m. Tuesday at 20 Gerard Way in Holyoke. The apartment building is owned by Mount Holyoke Management, and has 12 apartments with 34 residents.

When fire fighters arrived at the apartment building, fire and smoke was not showing from the outside, said Capt. Cerruti. As they worked their way onto the third floor hallway, heavy smoke was being held back by fire doors.

Capt. Cerruti said the firefighters put out the fire and determined that it was caused by grease on a pan in the kitchen. Luckily the smoke detector was working, and no was injured.

Residents in seven of the apartments were allowed back into their homes Tuesday night; however, residents in five apartments were not allowed to return due to smoke damage, said Capt. Cerruti. The apartment under where the fire started had water damage.

The American Red Cross was not called because the residents forced out are staying with family. It is unknown at this time how many people were forced out.

Comments are closed.