Dare may be to blame for fire that killed boy

Savvas Yianasmidis, 8, identified as the boy killed in the fire

Firefighters put out a shed fire Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, in Hyannis, Mass. Authorities say a young boy has died in a fast-moving fire in a small storage shed where neighbors said children were playing behind a house on Cape Cod. Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe said Monday night the boy was about 8 years old. (AP Photo/The Cape Cod Times, Christine Hochkeppel)

HYANNIS, Mass. (WPRI) – A fire that claimed the life of a young boy on Cape Cod may have been purposely started as a dare.

Police confirmed an 8-year-old boy died Monday evening in a fast-moving fire that started in a small storage shed behind a Hyannis home where three children were playing.

The district attorney’s office identified the boy as Savvas Yianasmidis. When firefighters arrived at 252 Hinckley Road, the 8-by-12 shed was completely engulfed in flames.

One of the two surviving children told Boston’s WCVB the fire was intentionally started as part of a dare. The boy said he lit some paper on fire after his friend dared him $100, but the flames quickly got out of control. He explained he knocked over what he believed was water but instead was gasoline.

“My friend dared me that if I did it he would give me $100, so I did it,” the young boy said. “I thought I knocked over the water, but I knocked over the gas.”

After the flames broke out, the boy ran to alert the victim’s mother, who immediately ran outside to find the shed fully involved.

The state fire marshal is calling the incident a horrific and tragic accident. DA Michael O’Keefe said the fire is not considered suspicious.

Photo and video above courtesy of HyannisNews.com.

Comments are closed.