CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Next weekend, chow down on chowder for a great cause! Marilyn Ishler and Chef Toni Lambert from Branford Hall Career Institute are here to tell us more about a Chowderfest and whip up some chowder!
South Hadley Commons
Sunday, September 21st
Noon – 4PM
The Chowder Fest is a fund raiser for the South Hadley Lions Club. Lions Clubs motto is “We Serve”, the South Hadley Club does that in many ways. We provide $6,500 in scholarships to SHHS graduating seniors, purchase winter clothing and outerwear for 4 – 5 families at Christmas time, purchase glasses for individuals with no insurance. The club also donates to the Operation Backpack and various South Hadley non-profit organizations through monthly spaghetti suppers.
All funds raised through fundraisers are donated to assist South Hadley residents and community as a whole. We do not keep any fundraiser money.
New England Clam Chowder
- 2 quarts of chopped clams with juice
- 1 ½ quarts clam juice
- 1 # potatoes, small dice
- 6 strips of slab bacon
- 1 ½ cups onion small dice
- 1 # whole butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- Place diced potatoes in cold water bring to a boil, cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, render the bacon over medium heat. Remove crisped bacon from the pot and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt.
- Add diced onions. Cook onions over medium heat until translucent and tender but not brown.
- Add the flour, stirring to cook out the raw flour flavor.
- Whisk in the clam juice. Whisk vigorously to eliminate any lumps.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cream. Again, whisking to eliminate any lumps.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add potatoes and clams and chopped dill. Simmer another 10 minutes or so.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and a sprig of fresh dill.