SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield firefighters and gas company crews were called to a vacant house in the city’s Old Hill neighborhood, due to a gas leak there early Tuesday afternoon.
The smell of mercaptin, the odorant that gives natural gas its distinctive smell, could be detected outside 715 Union Street, which is near the intersection of Union and Colton Streets. Police had temporarily blocked off streets as the gas company crews worked to turn the gas off.
Andrea Luppi, spokesperson for Columbia Gas, told 22News it appears vandals snapped the riser that feeds gas from the street to the house, causing the leak.
Residents of nearby homes and businesses were allowed to return and the streets were re-opened after the gas was turned off.