Fire at auto repair shop in Springfield

Apparent electrical failure caused car to catch fire in garage.

Courtesy: Springfield Fire Department
Courtesy: Springfield Fire Department

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield firefighters quickly controlled a fire Tuesday night at an auto repair shop in the city’s South End.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield fire commissioner, told 22News that a Hyundai Tucson inside the garage caught fire and filled the garage bay at Bear Auto Place with smoke. Leger said it looks like some sort of an electric failure caused the fire under the van’s hood. Other cars inside the garage sustained some smoke damage, and the building itself sustained minor damage.

22News spoke with witnesses who called 911. They said they noticed a small orange glow from inside the garage and called for help.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s