BOSTON (AP) — A Boston man charged with being behind the wheel of an SUV that struck and killed a young couple out for walk in the Back Bay in June pleaded not guilty Monday to vehicular homicide charges.
Mohamed Alfageeh, of the city’s Allston neighborhood, was held on $10,000 bail and ordered to surrender his passport at his arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court.
Alfageeh, 30, was driving on the night of June 21 when the SUV struck and killed John Lanzillotti, 28, and Jessica Campbell, 27, both of Brookline, investigators said.
Alfageeh’s vehicle ran a red light, hit another vehicle then flipped and slid into the couple at the intersection of Beacon and Fairfield streets, authorities said. Alfageeh’s Ford Explorer ended up on its roof.
Lanzillotti worked for the Red Sox for seven years and was manager of productions and game operations. He was a New England Emmy Award winner who produced features for NESN-TV’s weekly “Red Sox Report” and created many of the vignettes seen between innings at Fenway Park, the Red Sox said.
Alfageeh’s wife, Ghuzlan Alghazali, was originally charged with the deaths, but prosecutors later dropped charges because there was some confusion over who was driving.
After further investigation, it was determined Alfageeh was driving. He was indicted last week and surrendered Monday.
Alfageeh’s attorney requested that his client be released on personal recognizance.
Alfageeh has stayed in the area and supports his wife and four children as the part-owner of a convenience store, John Seed said.
Alfageeh is due back in court Sept. 22.