WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP)- Gas prices have been dropping across the country in recent weeks, but here in Massachusetts those prices are still slightly higher than the national average price of gas.
No matter where gas prices go, however, there are some ways you can help get the best fuel efficiency out of your car. 22News is working for you with some ways to get the most out of your gas mileage:
- Follow the speed limit. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, every five miles per hour over 60 MPH, is equal to paying an extra $0.24 per gallon of gas.
- Avoid speeding up quickly and breaking hard often. AAA of the Pioneer Valley says that doing so lowers your car’s fuel efficiency.
- Keep your car maintained. Something as simple as keeping your tire pressure at its recommended level can help save you money on gas.
- Try to consolidate your errands. By planning ahead you can minimize how much you’re driving in one trip.
- Keep up on routine maintenance on your car to help your vehicle work at its maximum fuel efficiency.
Sandra Marsian of AAA Pioneer Valley also recommends to pack a little lighter for your next road trip. Marsian told 22News, “If you’re going to be taking a road trip, consider how much stuff you are going to be taking with you, because certainly the heavier your car is and the heavier the items you put in your car, the more strain it puts on your fuel efficiency.”
How you drive can also impact how much gas you use each time you drive. Using cruise control for longer trips can help, and avoid speeding up quickly and breaking hard often, that makes your car use more gas than it has to.
To find the lowest price of gas in your area you can use AAA’s fuel price finder.