Fire forced family of four from Chicopee home

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP)- A husband, wife and their two children are staying with relatives, after a fire started at their home early Thursday morning.

Deputy Chief Daniel Dupre of the Chicopee Fire Department told 22News that firefighters were sent to the report of a house fire at 15 Pembroke Place at 1:15 A.M. The family had made it outside by the time firefighters arrived, Dupre said.

It took about an hour to get the flames under control, but firefighters were still at the house until about 7:00 A.M. to make sure that the fire would not start again.

Dupre said that a significant amount of damage was done to the roof of the house and attached garage.  He said that the bulk of the fire was in a void in the garage ceiling.

Kacie Godek, a neighbor that called 911 when the fire started, told 22News it was a frightening experience, “Well, I walked into my bathroom and I smell a strong sent of smoke. And I decided to look out the window and I saw flames, a lot of flames, at my neighbor’s house, so it freaked me out and I called the cops.”

The family was allowed back inside to pick up some valuables, but they aren’t being allowed to stay.

Fire officials are still investigating.

blog comments powered by Disqus