SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – During Wednesday’s storm that brought heavy rain and flooding throughout western Mass., Springfield Police arrested three armed robbery suspects.
According to Springfield Police Sgt. John Delaney, around 2:07 p.m. Wednesday, an armed robbery took place at a Citgo gas station on Wilbraham Road.
Witnesses told police that a female entered the store with a black handgun and demanded money from the register. After she got the money, the suspect ran out the store and entered a PT Cruiser color gold.
Sgt. Delaney said witnesses were able to give police the license plate number of the car, and a detailed description of the suspected armed robber. After a citywide search by police, the plate number came back with an address on Somerset Street.
The alleged PT Cruiser used in the robbery pulled onto the street with three people inside, including the female suspect. Sgt. Delaney said police pulled the car over and arrested all three.
Sgt. Delaney said police found a gun and money in the PT Cruiser and later identified the female suspect to be Janet Abely. The same vehicle is suspected to be involved in three other armed robberies in the past three weeks.
Arrested were 33-year-old Janet Abely of Springfield, 31-year-old Heather Messier of Springfield and 31-year-old Jose Perez, who has no known address and is being charged with five counts of armed robbery.
As of now, all three suspects are being charged with the following:
- Food Bag, 707 Dickinson Street – (CITGO Gas Station) – occurred on July 29th at 9:45 a.m. – Armed Robbery With a Gun
- Food Bag, 707 Dickinson Street – (CITGO Gas Station) Occurred on July 31st at 9:45 a.m. – Armed Robbery With a Gun
- Metro PCS 455 Sumner Avenue – Occurred on August 12th at 10:00 a.m. – Armed Robbery With a Gun
- CITGO GAS 603 Wilbraham Road – Occurred on August 13th at 2:07 p.m. – Armed Robbery With a Gun
- They are also suspected in robbing a pizza delivery driver last week.
Lt. Thomas Kennedy, Sgt. Jeffery Martucci, Detective William Kelly and other members of the Springfield Police Departments Detective Bureau are still working on these armed robbery investigations and other charges are possible.
All three suspects will be arraigned in Springfield District Court on Thursday.