YONKERS, NY (Mass Appeal) Although school won’t be back in session for a few more weeks, retailers have already begun offering some of their deepest discounts on back-to-school essentials. Luckily, some of the biggest bargains of the year may be available now and into the final weeks of the summer. However, not all these deals will be a steal. Consumer Reports Senior Editor Dan DiClerico gave us the scoop on where to find the best deals, and how to avoid the bad ones.
What items will we find most heavily discounted during this time?
- School supplies including paper, pens, tablets, crayons and backpacks
- Wardrobe basics such as blue jeans, khakis, white shirts, socks and underwear (generally 20 to 25% off)
- Sneakers may have an even bigger discount
- Computers are often reduced 30 to 50% during this time period
- Cell phones are usually discounted 20 to 30%
- Many of the top Android smart phones have been introduced for the year, but Apple announces in the fall, so you may want to wait if you are considering an Apple product.
- Towels and sheets are marked down 20 to 30%
- Small appliances such as coffeemakers and counter top microwaves are on sale too
- Make sure to check with the school to see what appliances are allowed in the dorm room