Drinking pool water can be deadly

The water can cause poisoning

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Kids love to stay cool in the pool, but doctors are warning parents to be sure their children aren’t drinking the water.

A couple of swallows are harmless, but ingesting too much can cause chlorine poisoning, bacterial infections, or even secondary drowning if a child inhales water into the lungs.

Doctors at Baystate Medical Center say there are some symptoms you can look out for. According to Dr. Jay Michael Klatte, “Headaches, fever, diarrhea, and rashes; in fact just recently within the past few months had a child hospitalized at Baystate Childrens Hospital with this diagnosis.”

These conditions can cause vision problems, digestive problems, trouble breathing and extreme fatigue. Parents who notice flu-like symptoms should seek immediate medical attention.

blog comments powered by Disqus