DA says Boston police justified in shooting man

Officers used lethal force in shootout on June 2nd.


BOSTON (AP) — Prosecutors say two officers were protecting themselves and others when they fatally shot a Boston man last month.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said Friday prosecutors met with 38-year-old Ross Batista’s family to explain their findings. The family has questioned the use of deadly force.

Conley said Batista was in the passenger seat of a car when he exchanged shots with a man on the sidewalk at about 1 a.m. June 2. Officers heard the shots, ran to the scene. Police said Batista refused to get out of the car, and an officer shot him when he jumped into the back seat and reached for a gun.

Conley said Batista then got out and fired at two retreating officers before another officer shot him. Conley said investigators found a second loaded handgun in the front passenger area.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s