Chicopee Eagles Club evacuated due to smell of gas

Club was evacuated Saturday night after patrons smelled gas.

chicopee gas leak

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – After hearing about the Longmeadow gas leak, patrons inside the Eagles Hall in Chicopee decided it was better to be safe than sorry.

The Eagles Club at 17 Sheridan Street in Chicopee was evacuated at around 7:30 Saturday night because of the smell of gas.

Chicopee Fire Captain Patrick Halpin told 22News they didn’t find any measurable readings, but Columbia Gas was called to shut off the building’s heating system.

Captain Halpin said they smelled mercaptin, the additive that gives gas an odor, but he said it may have just been from a pilot light in a heater.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s