Keep your gas grill safe from fires

Be sure your cookout stays safe

AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) – The Fourth of July is one of the most popular holidays for cookouts, and 22News is working for you with how to make sure your barbecue doesn’t turn disastrous from a grill fire.

It seems that every year, we hear of fires caused by propane gas grills or charcoal grills. Since firefighters are the ones who put those fires out, 22News asked them what they could recommend we do to avoid a disaster.

Agawam Fire Chief Alan Sirois said that a common cause of a fire isn’t from food cooking, but because the grill placed too close to the house.

Here are some other tips:

  • The State Fire Marshal recommends cleaning out cooking grease regularly, so it doesn’t build up and catch fire.
  • For propane tanks, make sure the line from the tank to the grill is tightly secured and doesn’t have a leak.

Chief Sirois mentioned something else that we might not think of while cooking on any grill:

“Charcoal and gas grills both produce carbon monoxide as a result of the cooking process, so it’s important to use those gas grills in a well-ventilated area and certainly outside,” Sirois said.

If you ever hear hissing coming from the propane line or smell gas, shut off the propane valve. If it catches fire, call the fire department immediately.

Chief Sirois said it’s rare that the propane tank will actually explode, but it can if the fire is burning long enough.

blog comments powered by Disqus