House fire in Pelham caused by lightning

A couple was forced out of their home

PELHAM, Mass. (WWLP) – During Wednesday’s Severe Thunderstorm Warning, storm damage was reported throughout western Massachusetts.

Pelham Deputy Fire Chief Richard Hall told 22News, just before 5:30 Wednesday evening, a house on Boyden Road was hit by a bolt of lightning.

It caused a fire, heavy smoke damage, and impacted the electrical outlets in the home. That’s why the two homeowners, a husband and wife, are left without a place to stay Wednesday night.

Deputy Chief Hall said, “Unfortunately the people have to leave the house because we have to kill the electricity to the house because of the extent of the damage to the wiring in the basement.”

Deputy Chief Hall also said they hope to have the family back inside within the next 24 hours. No one was injured in the lightning strike.

blog comments powered by Disqus