SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno says that he and other casino proponents will be ready to make their case to the voters when the fate of the state’s gaming law comes up for a vote in November.
During a news conference late Tuesday morning, Sarno and other city officials expressed disappointment with the state Supreme Judicial Court’s decision to allow a ballot question repealing the law. Anti-casino groups have collected more than double the amount of required signatures, and the SJC’s ruling struck down Attorney General Martha Coakley’s decision not to certify the question for the ballot.
Play the video to watch Tuesday’s entire news conference.
Sarno said that the decision delays the construction on the $800 million South End casino, which he says would create thousands of jobs. He said that the whole project is about jobs, and that is the message they will be communicating to the voters in November.
“This is about bringing thousands of good-paying jobs into the city of Springfield and western Massachusetts, and bringing millions of dollars in tax revenue into the city of Springfield, and in turn, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts,” Sarno said.
The mayor said that MGM’s effort to bring a casino to Springfield has overcome every hurdle so far, and he is confident they will clear this one as well.