Traffic delayed due to downtown office building fire

Smoking on the roof likely caused fire, official says

clear channel office building fire

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A Monday morning fire on the roof of a downtown Springfield office building likely happened because someone had been smoking up there.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that an improperly discarded cigarette was the most likely cause of the fire atop 1331 Main Street.

The building houses Clear Channel Radio, as well as several other offices and some retail shops on the first floor.

Leger said that the fire caused only minor damage. The fire, however, happened around 8:30 A.M., and the need to close one lane of Main Street for the firefighting effort had caused some minor traffic issues downtown.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s