SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A Monday morning fire on the roof of a downtown Springfield office building likely happened because someone had been smoking up there.
Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that an improperly discarded cigarette was the most likely cause of the fire atop 1331 Main Street.
The building houses Clear Channel Radio, as well as several other offices and some retail shops on the first floor.
Leger said that the fire caused only minor damage. The fire, however, happened around 8:30 A.M., and the need to close one lane of Main Street for the firefighting effort had caused some minor traffic issues downtown.
- Interactive: Live Traffic Map