NORTH ATTLEBORO, Mass. (WPRI) — Lawyers for Aaron Hernandez are questioning the validity of the search conducted at the former Patriot’s home last year which yielded several key pieces of evidence in the murder investigation of Odin Lloyd.
According to court documents obtained by Eyewitness News, the defense has subpoenaed several Boston television stations for raw video taken outside Hernandez’s North Attleboro home on June 18, 2013.
During hearings on June 16 and 18 of this year, Massachusetts State Police Trooper Michael Cherven testified that during the 2013 search, he served the search warrant at Hernandez’s home. He said he carried in a manila folder the original warrant, a copy of the warrant and the affidavit outlining probable cause for the search.
However, in documents filed Monday, the defense said television footage and still photos taken during the search “appear to contradict Trooper Cherven’s testimony.”
Hernandez’s lawyers say in the video the trooper did not have a manila folder in his hands. They said the video also showed another officer, not Trooper Cherven, present what is “presumably a copy of the search warrant” to a woman who opened the door.
Several key pieces of evidence, including surveillance footage from inside Hernandez’s home before and after the murder of Odin Lloyd, were seized during the search.
If the search warrant was not served properly, the judge could decide to declare the evidence collected during the search inadmissible during Hernandez’s murder trial.