WARE, Mass. (WWLP) – Ten people, and some dogs, goats, three horses, and a pony were able to make it to safety following an early morning fire at a home in Ware.
Crystal Bleau, who lives in the home on West Warren Road, told 22News that she and her family members awoke to the sound of fire alarms around 3:00 Monday morning. They made it out of the house unhurt, and called 9-1-1.
Lt. Chris Gagnon of the Ware Fire Department told 22News that heavy fire could be seen coming out of the house when they got there, and that over the course of the fire, firefighters from four other departments were called-in to help.
Bleau says that two Ware police officers ran beside a smoldering propane tank to rescue her horses and goats that were on her property, and that they also helped her dogs safely out of her house.
Bleau expressed thanks to the police and firefighters for their help during this “devastating, tragic time of my life.”
“The worst part about it is that this is my daughter’s eighth birthday today, and we lost everything that we have,” Bleau said.
She told 22News that she’s still concerned about three ferrets, a rat, and a hermit crab that she had in cages inside the house, which Animal Control has not yet been able to reach.
The town’s animal control officer has taken Bleau’s goats and dogs to her home and donated some food, Bleau said.
Gagnon told 22News that the Red Cross is helping all 10 people who were inside the house at the time of the fire. He said that they are not sure whether 10 people were actually living in the house, or whether some of those people had just been staying the night.