CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – It doesn’t matter if it was a long-term relationship, or a short-lived love affair, getting over a breakup is hard. Clinical Psychologist Dr. Elaine Ducharme shared tips on how to mend a broken heart.
7 Ways to Mend Your Broken Heart
1. Accept your feelings. Recognize the loss and be patient with yourself. It is fine to watch a sad movie and have a good cry.
2. Stay connected to your friends. Good friends can help you laugh again.
3. Focus on something you enjoy or try something new like painting or learning a new language.
4. Set 1 or 2 goals and take steps towards them.
5. Reach out and help others.
6. Think about what you learned from this relationship.
7. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you find yourself constantly crying and unable to sleep or enjoy anything for more than two weeks, you may want to talk to a psychologist or other mental health professional who can help you bounce back into your life.