Remember to never leave young children at home alone

Child safety in the bathtub

LYNN, Mass. (NBC NEWS/WWLP) – Two young children were hospitalized after being severely burned by hot water Wednesday morning.

According to officials, the victims are brothers and were being watched by a 21-year-old baby-sitter at the time of the incident. One child is 18 months old and the other is 3-years-old.

Charles Collins, the father of the baby-sitter said that his son was watching the children but that he went back to his apartment across the hall to use the bathroom. “So the oldest one got up and turned the thing and the hot water came down and it got too hot for them and I’m hearing them screaming and when he pulled them out they were burned.”

Collins said his son is distraught.

A local babysitter says it’s unacceptable. Christy Solorzano of West Springfield told 22News, “It’s not only because of the water, because they can slip they can hurt themselves, it’s just not a good idea.

Once the kids turned the water on, they couldn’t turn it off. Both boys were left with burns on more than 50% of their bodies.

Comments are closed.