CERRO ARMAZONES, Chile (WWLP) – On Thursday afternoon, the top of a mountain in northern Chile will be blown-off in order to level the ground for the world’s largest telescope.
The explosion is set to happen atop Cerro Armazones, a more than 10,000 foot-tall mountain which is set to be the location of the E-ELT; the European Extremely Large Telescope.
Among the tasks that the planned telescope is expected to be used to undertake: the search for Earth-like planets orbiting other stars.
- E-ELT Groundbreaking event page http://www.eso.org/eeltgroundbreaking
- About the E-ELT http://www.eso.org/public/teles-instr/e-elt/
- About ESO http://www.eso.org/public/about-eso/
- Media advisory to attend the event http://www.eso.org/public/announcements/ann14038/
- Broadcast the event! http://www.eso.org/public/announcements/ann14038/