HATFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A state hazardous materials team was called to a major food distribution warehouse in Hampshire County Friday morning, due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide.
Jennifer Mieth, spokesperson for the state Department of Fire Services, told 22News that the Hatfield fire department was called to C&S Wholesale Grocers on what turned out to be an unrelated medical call. Their meters, however, detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide.
When the hazardous materials team was called in, they discovered that two things were to blame. First, a forklift battery that was being charged had been malfunctioning; causing a small level of carbon monoxide to be released. Second, a chemical that is used to ripen fruit was causing a false reading on the meters, according to Mieth.
The battery was removed, the building has been allowed to air-out, and the carbon monoxide levels returned to normal.