CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – With summer right around the corner, now is the time to add some highlights to your hair or even sport a new haircut! Hairstylist Fred Hawck and Colorist Michaela Murray, co-owners of Wicked Salon in West Springfield, shared tips to help you look fabulous this summer!
Fred’s Tips for Cut and Style
- With long hair, avoid over-layered cuts. Long layers for Summer 2014 are blended, with the shortest layers framing the face. Bangs should be cut when dry to achieve the perfect length.
- When going short, the line of the cut should be customized to complement you. The right shape of a short haircut can decrease negative qualities and bring out your best features.
- Women with unruly or frizzy hair should try a cut just above the shoulders first…a smoothing or keratin treatment may be necessary before going short.
- When choosing pictures of celebrities with short haircuts you like, try to find those who have a similar texture/thickness of hair and facial shape as you.
- The best haircuts for Summer, at any length, are those that look good with little or no styling at all. Talk about your Summer lifestyle with your stylist before making a change.
Michaela’s Tips for Color and Highlights
- Talk to your colorist about maintenance with a new color…chose a color service that fits your look and your lifestyle.
- Balayage (hand painted) highlights are a must…both subtle and bold looks can be achieved. They allow the colorist to achieve the most creative color for your haircut while maintaining the hair’s health.
- Start slow and know your hair’s health. Conditioning treatments might be necessary before lightening your hair for the summer. By starting slow, you can gradually add more highlighting in a few visits to the salon.
- Don’t do it yourself…lightening your own hair at home can be damaging and produce unflattering results.
- The best blond highlights for summer are light and creamy. Picture the natural lightness children’s hair gets in the summer.
- Warm skin tones look best with a cool or neutral tone blond.
- Darker (brown) hair colors look best with honey and golden blonds. (avoid overlightening)
- Women with blue eyes usually look best with warm, buttery blonds.