WMass teen sickened when cleaner was sprinkled on food

dinner plate

EASTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say a customer at a Hampshire County restaurant became sick when an employee mistakenly sprinkled a chemical cleaner on food instead of grated cheese.

Easthampton health agent Jackie Duda says the teenager fell ill immediately after eating the food Sunday at Riff’s Joint and was driven to an emergency room. She says the teen is recovering and no one else is believed to have eaten the cleaner.

Duda says the powdered chemical had been removed from its original container and placed in another that was not properly labeled. She tells The Daily Hampshire Gazette the restaurant has rectified the issues that led to the poisoning.

Co-owner Jeffrey Cahill called it an isolated incident caused by “gross human error” that won’t happen again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s