(WWLP) – Memorial Day is a federal holiday, and out of respect for our nation’s war dead, many government institutions and some private businesses are closed. Here is a look at what is open, and what is not, on this holiday.
- Banks: Closed
- Federal Offices: Closed
- Libraries: Closed
- Malls: Open, but most closing early. See below for specific hours
- Municipal Offices: Closed
- Post Office: Closed, no mail delivery
- Registry of Motor Vehicles: Closed
- Restaurants: Open
- Retail Stores: Most open, but some are closing early (see shopping mall hours)
- Schools: Closed
- State Offices: Closed
- Stock Market: Closed
There are also changes to public transit on Memorial Day:
- BRTA: No service
- FRTA: No service
- PVTA: Springfield and Northampton-area buses will operate on Sunday service, No UMass Shuttle service. Visit PVTA.com for additional details on routes.
Shopping malls are open, but will be closing early:
- Berkshire Mall: Open 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
- Eastfield Mall: Open 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M., but restaurant, department store, and cinema hours may vary.
- Enfield Square Mall: Open 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
- Hampshire Mall: Open 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M.
- Holyoke Mall at Ingleside: Open 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M., except for certain anchor stores and restaurants. Visit the mall’s website for more information.
- Lee Premium Outlets: Open 9:00 A.M.-9:00 P.M.