Four homeless after house fire in South Hadley

south hadley house fire 1SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (WWLP) – The Red Cross has dispatched a team to assist four people forced out of their home in South Hadley, Monday night, because of an “accidental” fire.

South Hadley Fire Captain Jim Pula told 22News fire started in a first floor living room at 1 Lesperance Court a little after 7:35 p.m. Monday. The fire spread to the second floor, but firefighters were able to control the fire in under ten minutes.

“There was heavy heat and smoke damage to the rest of the house, especially the first floor,” said Captain Pula, “but also the second floor. There’s still a family pet missing. A cat is missing.”

Lesperance Court is a dead-end side street off Grant Street.

Captain Pula told 22News that the State Fire Marshall ruled the fire “accidental” in cause. They said an electrical heating unit somehow ignited a plastic plant starting the fire.

The displaced victims are unrelated adults, according to Captain Pula. No one was hurt.

blog comments powered by Disqus