Unattended candle causes a house fire in Holyoke

corser street fire

HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – Holyoke Firefighters controlled a house fire on Corser Street Tuesday evening after smoke could be seen coming out of the second floor.

According to Holyoke Fire Capt. Anthony Cerruti, around 3:52 p.m. Tuesday, firefighters received an alarm at 57 Corser Street; a two and half story wood frame home.

Capt. Cerruti said the cause of the fire was an unattended candle on the second floor. Smoke could be seen from the second floor window.

17 firefighters assisted in putting out the fire, and no one was injured, but the owner of the house, a retired Catholic priest Father John Dean, inhaled some smoke and refused medical treatment.

Capt. Cerruti also mentioned that the smoke detectors in the house were not operational. Click Here for some fire prevention resources.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s