NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – 11 people, including a Hampshire County woman, have gotten sick with E. coli from a recently recalled batch of ground beef.
22News went to Local Burger in Northampton, where the owner Joe Igner said he’s never had a problem with E. coli because he knows how to cook a burger properly and what to look out for.
Igner said it’s recommended to cook ground beef for at least 4 minutes and up to 7 minutes on each side. The heat can cook off any contamination.
For him, it’s all a matter of knowing where your beef comes from. Igner told 22News, “We don’t get it from a processing plant and that’s a big difference because when they process, they process beef and turkey and if they don’t change the blades, that’s when somebody’s going to get sick.”
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services advises using a food thermometer to make sure ground beef heats up to 160 degrees when cooked.
It’s also advised you wash your hands before preparing any meat and especially after coming in contact with farm animals.
For information on the recent beef recall and symptoms of E. coli illness, Click Here.