NEW YORK (CNN) – Most of us have those days when nothing seems to go right. However, it is possible to turn your mood around when you are feeling out of sorts, without food, drink or drugs.
You exercise regularly, get enough ZZZZZs, and follow a healthy diet. Still, you find yourself feeling ‘blah’ from time to time. Well good news, there are natural pick-me-ups that are both simple and effective.
Here are some ideas:
- Catch some rays (without going overboard). We know that exposure to sunlight seems to help a lot- so ya know, open up the drapes in your room, let some sun in, get outside as much as you can
- Don’t underestimate the power of human touch. Certainly hugs, hand-holding,getting a massage can actually be a very helpful thing for your mood.
- A lot of times, people may not necessarily feel like going out and doing something that would help somebody else, but afterwards, they report feeling much better.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Just kind of sit down and list all the things in your life that you’re thankful for, that are going well
- Set aside time to be alone and meditate. Take some deep breaths and focus on only that.
One study showed that for people who meditate for just 6 weeks, show more activity in the area of the brain, that people have when they’re optimistic, so it really makes a difference.
Try one or more of these whenever you need your spirits lifted.