BOSTON (WWLP) – The Boston Bruins were defeated by the the Montreal Canadiens in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Eastern Conference Semifinals. Boston has now been eliminated from the playoffs.
The game started at 7:00 p.m. in TD Garden, Boston, Mass.
FINAL SCORE: Montreal Canadiens 3, Boston Bruins 1
The Canadiens forced a Game 7 after shutting out the Bruins in Game 6, and winning 4-0. The historic rivalry between these two teams has been reborn with both teams playing as if this is the Stanley Cup Finals. The Canadiens took games 1, 3 and 6, while the Bruins took games 2, 4, and 5. As the game shifts back to Boston lets see if the Bruins can win and head to the Stanley Cup Eastern Conference Finals.
The Bruins defeated the Detroit Red Wings in the First Round of the playoffs, 4-1, while the Canadiens swept the Tampa Bay Lightning, 4-0. Now, the two teams face each other in the Second Round; this is the 34th time the Bruins and Canadiens are going head to head in the playoffs. In previous match-ups the Canadiens have won 24 and the Bruins won 9. The Bruins won the last series against the Canadiens in the 2010-2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, 4-3.
- Related: Bruins, Canadiens to renew rivalry
The Bruins hope to make it back to the Stanley Cup Championship after losing a heart breaking loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 6 last season. If not for two quick goals from the Blackhawks within seconds of each other, in the final period, Bruins might have had a chance to win it all by forcing a Game 7.
Click Here to sign up for Sports Text Alerts.
NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Schedule (Round 2):
- Thursday, May 1st – Montreal Canadiens 4, Boston Bruins 2, 2OT LOSS
- Saturday, May 3rd - Montreal Canadiens 3, Boston Bruins 5, WIN
- Tuesday, May 6th – Boston Bruins 4, Montreal Canadiens 2, LOSS
- Thursday, May 8th - Boston Bruins 1, Montreal Canadiens 0, OT WIN
- Saturday, May 10th - Montreal Canadiens 2, Boston Bruins 4, WIN
- Monday, May 12th - Boston Bruins 0, Montreal Canadiens 4, LOSS
- Wednesday, May 14th - Montreal Canadiens vs. Boston Bruins, 7:00 p.m.