Family of four forced from Southwick home after fire

swickfire

SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) – A sad Mother’s Day for a family of four at 134 Feeding Hills Road in Southwick. Their home was nearly completely destroyed by fire.

Southwick Fire Chief Richard Anderson told 22News the fire was caused by an illegal burn in the backyard.

The family was burning in a steel barrel. The barrel was only about 15 feet away from the home. Chief Anderson said the barrel had holes in it. He said the wind picked up the flames and caught the garage on fire.

The mother, father, and two young boys who live in the home all made it out safely. They are staying with family and friends.

The Southwick Fire Department can be credited with saving the home from burning to the ground.

While the garage is destroyed, and the family room is damaged, firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to the rest of the home.

Chief Anderson said the family should eventually be able to move back in.

The fire started around 2:30 Sunday afternoon. Firefighters were still working as of 5:00pm. Chief Anderson said they want to make sure there’s no carbon monoxide gas in the home before turning it back over to the homeowner.

Feedings Hills Road, which was blocked off at Great Brook Lane and Shagback Road is expected to reopen by early Sunday evening.

southwick fire 4southwick fire 3


 

 

southwick fire 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s