High speed chase ends in crash

INDIANAPOLIS (CNN) – Police have identified a man arrested in a downtown parking garage after he allegedly stole a Ford Escape and led them on a high-speed chase along Interstate 70 Thursday morning.

The chase covered about 40 miles. The suspect was identified as Torovon E. Davis, 23, of Indianapolis. Davis was released to Putnam County authorities after his arrest this morning and transported to the Putnam County Jail.

Davis will be facing multiple charges in Marion County, including: Resisting Law Enforcement with a Motor Vehicle causing injury, Class C Felony, Possession of a Stolen Vehicle, Class D Felony, Leaving the Scene of a Personal Injury Crash, Class D Felony, Criminal Recklessness with a Motor Vehicle, Class A misdemeanor and Battery Waste on a Police Officer, Class D Felony along with several traffic related charges. He will also be facing criminal charges in Putnam County, Indiana and the State of Illinois. He was not injured in the crash.

The chase started when Putnam County authorities tried to stop the SUV for speeding, and ended in a crash on Maryland and Meridian streets shortly after 9:00 a.m. Police deployed stop sticks to get the fleeing driver to stop. Two people were injured in the crash, and the suspect fled into the parking garage just north of the Hard Rock Cafe near the intersection where the crash occurred. Within a few minutes, police had the man in custody. They threw a sweatshirt over the man’s face because he was allegedly spitting at them.

The foot chase inside the garage led to some frightening moments for bystanders.

“I was shaking. I was crying a little bit because I didn’t know what was going on and I didn’t want to get out of the car. First time I’ve seen a policeman chasing someone with a gun before. It was pretty scary. I hope everybody’s okay. We didn’t know any of this had happened. We just thought they were chasing someone through the garage. Great way to start a morning,” said one woman who witnessed the chase.

Police have not identified the man, other than to say he appears to be from Indianapolis. The suspect allegedly spit on an IMPD officer during his apprehension on the third floor of the garage. Metro Police assisted in the chase by deploying stop sticks at Meridian and Jackson Street, causing one of the Ford Escape’s front tires to deflate, according to Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Rich Myers.

The suspect struggled with police as two officers led him in handcuffs into a sheriff’s arrest wagon. “Help me! They’re trying to shut me up!” the man yelled, clearly agitated. His speech was laced with profanity.

The Escape, which had dealer plates, struck an eastbound Ford Taurus on Maryland, and the Taurus spun onto the sidewalk, striking a woman on a bicycle. Myers said the man in the Taurus suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene. The woman on the bike, who ended up pinned under a vehicle, was treated at IU Health-Methodist Hospital for injuries to her legs. Myers described her condition as stable and her injuries as minor. Damage to the outside of the Hard Rock Cafe building was minimal.

Police began their pursuit in Putnam County, near the 41 mile marker of Interstate 70, according to Myers. Speeds reached 120 miles per hour through Hendricks County, and 80 miles per hour inside I-465 as the suspect swerved in and out of traffic, passing on the shoulders, with “no due regard for people’s safety,” Myers said.

Myers said the suspect faces multiple charges for fleeing, reckless driving, criminal endangerment with a motor vehicle, and felony battery by bodily waste for spitting on the IMPD officer. The Illinois dealer is conducting inventory to confirm whether the Escape was stolen.

Myers said the suspect was jailed in Marion County, but would likely be taken back to Putnam County to face charges. The intersection was cleared before noon.

Comments are closed.