New Greenfield bridge repair project to cost $1M

GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Greenfield is going to see a lot more tractors, forklifts and construction workers around town, as work is done to improve buildings and infrastructure.

Repairs to a large parking lot and the courthouse are already underway and now there’s a new project on the list…the Eunice Williams Drive covered bridge.

In 2011, Hurricane Irene knocked the bridge off its posts and now Greenfield is working to restore the historic infrastructure, and some Greenfield natives told 22News, it’s about time.

Pam Peramba was born and raised in Greenfield. She said, “It burned in 69 and it was repaired. and then it just got in disarray and I think that it should be fix for the town, for the people, and for the history of the town.”

The repairs will cost 1 million dollars, and the federal government will cover 60% of the costs. The other 40% will be covered by town funding.

However, some residents told 22News, you have to spend money to make money. Walter Koblinksi said, “I think it will be great. It will create business. People will be traveling more that way. I went to it once before all this damage and it was just great.”

The covered bridge is off of Leyden Road and is often used as a shortcut for people traveling from Vermont. The Department of Public Works expects the covered bridge will be open for light traffic and pedestrians in September or October.

blog comments powered by Disqus