Electrical fire damages a vacant home in Springfield

rutledge street fire

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – An electrical malfunction started a massive fire in Springfield’s South End Wednesday afternoon at a vacant multi-family home on Main Street. Large amount of smoke could be seen in the sky.

Aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, Dennis Leger told 22News that the fire started in the ceiling of a first floor storage room in the rear of McNair Business Machines on Main Street.

The fire spread to an attached vacant house behind the business, causing extensive damage. Leger said a business owner initially tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher, but the flames spread too quickly.

Leger said earlier Wednesday that the vacant house was located at 419 to 427 Main Street. No one was reported being injured.

Six fire units responded to the 1 alarm fire around 3:37 p.m. It took firefighters just under two hours to put out the fire; the rain made it very smoky.

22News crew could smell smoke from about a half mile away on East Columbus Avenue near the Basketball Hall of Fame. Traffic was backed up down Main Street as people were trying to get home from work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s