NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – Northampton police say that a woman overdosed in a public bathroom downtown, and police say it isn’t the first time that something like this has happened.
Police Capt. Jodi Kasper told 22News that the overdose victim was found in the women’s restroom at Northampton City Hall, just before 1:30 Monday afternoon.
Kasper says that a woman walked into the restroom to find that the other woman had overdosed on heroin. The victim required CPR for a long time before she was rushed to Cooley Dickinson Hospital. Her condition is not known at this time.
Kasper told 22News that on separate occasions, others have also been found in downtown bathrooms doing drugs or suffering from overdoses.
The women’s bathroom is right next to the door to Main Street, so it is very easy to get to.
Ken Kinghorn of South Hadley told 22News that can see how something like this could happen.
“I guess they have nowhere else to go? Sounds like a crazy answer, but you know I mean: do it on the street or find some place private. I mean I guess that’s the only private place they have, and that’s pretty telling, too,” Kinghorn said.
He suggested that public places lock bathroom doors or put a code on them to monitor who goes in and out.
Many people told 22News they think this could be prevented by offering more resources for heroin addicts so they don’t overdose.