Help ‘Retire the Fire’

WESTFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) On average, seven people die in U.S. home fires per day.  Tina Gorman from the Council on Aging in Westfield told us how to retire the fire!

Space Heaters

  • Should not be used as the primary source of heating
  • Three feet of space from anything that can burn
  • Turn off before going to bed or leaving home

Electrical and Home Heating Safety

  • Electrical fires were the leading cause of death to older adults last year
  • Don’t overload outlets and power strips
  • Electrical cords should not be run under rugs or be pinched by furniture

Cooking Safety Tips

  • Cooking fires were the leading cause of injury to older adults last year
  • “Stand by your pan”
  • “Put a lid on it”

Smoke Detectors

  • Change clocks, change batteries
  • Don’t want older adults on ladders or stepstools
  • Ask family, friends, neighbors to change the batteries
  • If no one is available, call your local Senior Center

Carbon Monoxide

  • Referred to as the silent killer
  • Heating equipment is the leading source of carbon monoxide in the home
  • Should have carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home

Home Oxygen

  • Oxygen can permeate into clothing, fabric, hair, beards, and furniture
  • Oxygen is not flammable, but it can cause other flammable materials to ignite more easily and to burn more quickly
  • Flammable products such as oils, grease, petroleum products, and oil-based lip balms or lotions must be avoided
  • Oxygen is an “accelerant” – it will make a fire burn faster and hotter
  • Smoking is not just a personal health hazard, it is a public safety danger
  • It puts everyone in the house or apartment at risk
blog comments powered by Disqus