HATFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Firefighters dealt with brush fires in Hampshire and Hampden County Monday afternoon.
Flames scorched close to an acre of land behind a house on bridge Street in Hatfield Monday afternoon. Stephen Gaughn, the Hatfield Deputy Fire Chief, told 22News this fire was completely avoidable. He said someone carelessly tossed a cigarette into a pile of trash that contained an old Christmas Tree in the back yard.
“It’s an accidental fire. But we do encourage people to burn only when permits are given out. For their safety and for the control of fires to prevent things like this,” said Chief Gaughan.
Deputy Fire Chief Gaughan told 22News that a fire hydrant about 400 feet away helped them get the flames quickly under control. He said there were no fire permits given out for today because of the wind and dry conditions.
It was a permitted burn that got out of control in Wilbraham on Monday afternoon as well.
Wilbraham Fire Captain Thomas Shaw told 22News a trash and leaf fire spread because of the wind. The fire started on Ridge Road, spreading to Cadwell drive just after 3:30 this afternoon. Captain Shaw said the flames blackened about three acres.
There were no fire hydrants, so they had to use tankers. Hampden, Palmer and Monson Fire Departments provide mutual aide for Wilbraham.