BOSTON (WWLP) – This year’s Boston Marathon is expected to draw about 1 million spectators, and many of them might not know the rules, some of which have changed following last year’s attacks.
22News is working for you with a look at some of the guidelines for people watching the race up-close.
Spectators are discouraged from bringing these items. If you have any of these items, you can be delayed when going through security, and you may be subject to extra screening.
- Weapons, such as guns, knives, or mace
- Items of any kind that can be used as weapons, including props or toys.
- Coolers, glass containers, or cans, or any container capable of carrying more than one liter of liquid.
- Flammable liquids, fuels, fireworks, or anything that can be considered an explosive.
- Large blankets or comforters and sleeping bags.
- Backpacks or any similar item carried over the shoulder.
- Large handbags
- Rolling bags
- Packages or bulky items larger than 12 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 6 inches thick
- Costumes covering the face or any non-form fitting, bulky outfits extending beyond the perimeter of your body
It is also important to point out that crowds will be limited at the finish line, and anyone watching the race should expect to be monitored by video surveillance and undercover police officers.