48% are confident the Boston Marathon will be safe

BOSTON (WWLP) – Out of 500 study participants, not even half said they were confident in law enforcement’s ability to keep them safe at this year’s Boston Marathon. That won’t stop people from attending the race this year.

As we near the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, Governor Deval Patrick took a moment to sign a banner that will be showcased at this year’s finish line. He reflected on last year’s deadly bombing, as well as the city’s extraordinary resilience.

“I think there was a very strong shared pride in how we came together and I think we are a stronger community having come through that as we have and I think we’re looking forward,” said Governor Patrick.

According to a University of Massachusetts poll, 52% of people are not too confident that law enforcement can keep them safe during this year’s marathon, but others are not worried at all.

“Seeing that they shut down the city, the entire city last year, I feel pretty confident that, you know that they’re going to be very vigilant this year of any suspicious behavior,” said Justin Pires of Boston.

Only 8% of voters said they are “very concerned” with the security this year, but that won’t stop people from going to the marathon.

“I mean, I’m going to go to the marathon without any concerns. I don’t think anything’s going to happen,” said Semba Mwitanti of Boston.

This year’s marathon is expected to draw twice as many spectators as last year.

The marathon takes place on Monday, April 21, 2013. The eyes of the world and the eyes behind newly installed security cameras will be watching all 26.2 miles of the race.

blog comments powered by Disqus