Pothole problems persist across WMass

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Winter may finally be behind us but it left behind big problems for drivers.  22News is working for you with an update on what one city is doing to keep up on filling thousands of potholes.

On many roads in Western Massachusetts, potholes are tough to avoid. “They’re dinging up the car, they’re everywhere, they’re blocking rotaries because of it, so I’m kind of over it,” one driver, Josh Otero, from Springfield, told 22News.

“You’ve just got to swerve all the time to get out of the way, so I mean it’s a pain in the butt, and something that needs to be fixed.” Cody Goloubef, from Springfield, said about his frustration with the potholes.

The freezing and thawing weather conditions that causes potholes are improving but are not gone completely.

22News meteorologist Nick Bannin explains why.  “Even though our days are much warmer, the ground is warming up, we still spend enough time below freezing overnight some days to still do damage and create pot holes,” Bannin said.

22News went to Springfield Tuesday morning to check out where some potholes are still waiting to be repaired. One example we found was at the end of Exit 7 off Interstate 91 southbound, where drivers get off the highway near the Memorial Bridge.

Springfield’s Department of Public Works’ Director of Operations, Vincent DeSantos, told 22News he believes that area in particular is the state’s responsibility.  He also said they have two crews specifically dedicated to filling the potholes across the city, but that it’s a big city, and there is a lot to catch up on.

DeSantos urges residents to report the potholes you see by  calling 311 or (413) 736-3111.

He says one reported pothole has been leading to dozens more getting fixed on that same road, and that to date, the DPW has responded to 572 of those reports.  DeSantos also said they expect to be making repairs for several months to come.

If you’re car has been damaged by potholes, your best option is to keep all your receipts related to the repairs, then bring them to your city’s clerk’s office.  They should direct you on what you need to do next.

Comments are closed.