Possible cause of massive wedding venue fire identified

Firefighters respond to a multiple alarm fire at the popular Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro, Mass., Saturday, April 5, 2014. A wedding was taking place at the time of the fire. (AP Photo/The Sun Chronicle, Mark Stockwell)

FOXBORO, Mass (WWLP) – We’re learning more Sunday night about that massive fire in Foxboro that burned a popular wedding venue to the ground.

The fire that started on Saturday during a wedding and ripped through the Lakeview Pavillion may have been caused by a cigarette that was tossed onto a pile of mulch. Guests could smell smoke just after the bride and groom were pronounced husband and wife.

The Justice of the Peace for the wedding, Jerry Cibley, told 22News “I was marrying a lovely young couple. I just pronounced them husband and wife, everybody clapped and they walked down the center of the aisle, the bridesmaids and groomsmen followed and all of a sudden I looked up and a couple of people thought we saw some smoke.”.

There were about 140 to 150 people inside the Lakeside Pavillion when the fire started. Luckilly, everyone made it out safely.

Were also learning that the building did not have fire sprinklers, and firefighters took water from a nearby pond.

The building is being demolished.

Comments are closed.