Officials say smoking led to fatal fire

Photo Courtesy: MGNonline
Photo Courtesy: MGNonline

WALTHAM, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say an early morning rooming house fire that killed a Waltham man was started by improper disposal of smoking materials.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Waltham Fire Chief Paul Ciccone also said Friday that a smoke alarm in the man’s room had been dismantled. The victim, in his 50s, has not been formally identified.

The officials said the building on Crescent Street had 12 individual rooms with shared bathrooms on three floors. Smoke detectors in the common hallways were working and officials said that helped other residents get out safely. One person was rescued from an upper floor.

The fire was reported at about 3 a.m. Friday.

The Red Cross says 11 adults were displaced.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s