Let’s face it, sometimes kids get into things that they probably shouldn’t. Here are a few tips to keep little explorers from finding their way into household items that could be dangerous. But just in case, we’ll also show you what to do if your child accidentally ingests something harmful.
The Hard Facts
Half of the 2.4 million calls to Poison Help Number in 2010 involved children ages 5 and under. In fact, 9 out of 10 poisonings occur at home.
- Store all household products out of children’s sight and reach. Young kids are often eye-level with items under the kitchen and bathroom sinks. So any bleach, detergents, dishwasher liquid or cleaning solutions that are kept there should find a new storage location.
- Store poisonous items out of reach or use safety locks on cabinets within reach. These items also include detergent pods for the laundry and dishwasher. It only takes a few minutes, and it gives you one less thing to worry about.
- Read product labels to find out what can be hazardous to kids. Dangerous household items include makeup, personal care products, plants, pesticides, lead, art supplies, alcohol and carbon monoxide.
- Make sure that all medications, including vitamins and adult medicines, are stored out of reach and out of sight or children.
- Put the toll-free number Poison Help Number (1-800-222-1222) into your home and cell phones. You should also post it near your phone or on your refrigerator for the babysitter. Hopefully you’ll never need it, but it’s nice to have just in case.
- Check for lead-based paint. Remove any peeling paint or chewable surfaces painted with lead-based paint.
Many poisons are tasteless and don’t smell. Learn more about how to reduce the risk of accidental poisoning.
Media Credit: SafeKids.org