US stands by charges against Boston bomb suspect

BOSTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors said Friday they oppose a defense motion to dismiss some charges against Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, arguing that they aren’t prejudicial.

Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty in the terrorist attack at last year’s marathon. Two pressure cooker bombs were placed near the marathon finish line, killing three people and wounding more than 260. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev for crimes that include using a weapon of mass destruction.

The defense motion filed last month by Tsarnaev’s lawyer Judy Clarke, one of the nation’s foremost death penalty specialists, noted that more than half of the 30 federal charges carry a possible death sentence, and said the number of capital charges “appears designed to put a thumb on the scales of justice in favor of the death penalty.”

In their filing, prosecutors called that argument “nonsense” and said the number of charges “reflects the number of crimes Tsarnaev committed.”

Although some statutes overlap, prosecutors said, “it is clear that Congress intended to authorize multiple penalties for offenders who violate more than one statute.”

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s