CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Exercise and physical activity can play a crucial role in how you feel about yourself and your life. Dr. Rob Robinson, Clinical Director of Family Care Counseling Associates in Wilbraham, shared more the impact of exercise on your mental health.
Why Exercise Is Important to Your Health
1. Exercise increases serotonin production in the brain which improves depression and decreases anxiety.
2. In research on depression exercise has been shown to prevent depression relapse.
3. Exercise has been shown to improve memory, learning and attention.
4. The Physical Education Program in the Napierville Illinois school district has been structured around increasing heart rate and the results in learning outcomes have been amazing.
5. Tips on starting an exercise program:
Workout with a friend
Listen to music
See your doctor first if you haven’t exercised in awhile
Remember the five minute “take off”
Exercise at a time that works best for you.