Springfield school evacuated due to gas odor

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Students at a Springfield elementary school were briefly evacuated late Tuesday morning after the report of a smell of gas.

Springfield Public Schools spokesperson Azell Cavaan told 22News that students at the Alice B. Beal Elementary School on Tiffany Street were evacuated due to the odor.

She said that the fire department and gas company crews were called to the school to check things out.

Andrea Luppi, spokesperson for Columbia Gas, told 22News that the smell was due to a malfunctioning hot water heater, and that the gas to the building has been turned off while a plumber makes repairs.

When our 22News crew arrived around 11:30, the fire department was leaving, and students were being allowed back into the building.

Comments are closed.