Keeping carbon monoxide detectors up to date

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a New Hampshire home this week.

Police said someone in the house removed the batteries from the carbon monoxide detector.

22News is working for you with ways to prevent something like this from happening to you or your family.

Holyoke Fire Captain, Anthony Cerruti told 22News, “If the detector is chirping it’s chirping for a reason. It could need new batteries, detectors also have a lifespan, a lot of people don’t know that.”

Holyoke Fire Captain Anthony Cerruti says most detectors have a lifespan from 7 to 10 years, and after that, they’re no longer functional.

They told 22News your carbon monoxide detector should also be UL certified, meaning it has the highest stamp of approval.

blog comments powered by Disqus