NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – Prosecutors will put Cara Rintala up for trial for a third time, but she will have the ability to await her trial out of jail.
In a court hearing on Tuesday, prosecutors said that they intend to pursue a third trial for Cara Rintala later this year, but both the Commonwealth and the defense agreed to allow the murder suspect to post $150,000 bail.
Following Tuesday afternoon’s hearing, Rintala remained in custody, as defense attorneys say it will take some time to raise the $150,000 to post bail.
“We do feel it would be in the best interest of justice to agree to a reasonable bail in this case,” said First Assistant District Attorney Steve Gagne.
She has been in jail since her 2011 arrest for the murder of her wife, Annamarie Cochrane Rintala. Annamarie’s lifeless body was found inside the couple’s Granby home back in 2010.
Two Hampshire Superior Court juries failed to reach a unanimous verdict in her murder case, and both trials, one in 2013 and one in early 2014, ended in a mistrial. Taxpayers say trying her again is a waste of money.
“I don’t think they should try her again. I think they haven’t proven their case, reasonable doubt. I do believe women can commit murder, it’s not that I believe women can’t do that; they can. But I do believe it’s a waste of taxpayers’ money,” said Blake Mills of Belchertown.
If Rintala posts bail, she will have to wear a GPS monitoring bracelet, and will have to check-in with her probation officer at Hampshire Superior Court. She is not allowed to leave the state, except to travel to Rhode Island to deal with her child custody case there.
“I think it’s a waste of taxpayer money. I don’t like the idea of her being out on the street necessarily or being mother to a two-year-old. But I don’t see the point in going after her any further,” said Kitty Hay of Northampton.
Rintala had been living in Narragansett, Rhode Island at the time she was arrested.