CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – It’s Chocolate Week on Mass Appeal, but do you know the secrets behind making the perfect chocolate truffle? Personal Chef Bill Collins from ChefBill.com showed us how to make perfect truffles just in time for Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 cups dark chocolate, chopped or in small pieces
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur OPTIONAL
- Cocoa powder
- Parchment or waxed paper
1. Heat the cream on stove, on a medium-high heat, until steaming; do not boil
2. Place the chocolate in a heatproof mixing bowl. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and let it sit for about 30 seconds, to melt chocolate slightly.
3. With a whisk, slowly mix the cream and chocolate, until just combined, about 2-3 minutes
4. Add vanilla and (optional) orange flavored liqueur (Cointreau, Triple Sec, etc) until just incorporated. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
5. When the mixture is firm, use a teaspoon to scoop and begin to shape the chocolate. Roll the truffles with the palms of your hands to create a round ball
6. Roll the truffles in cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar or finely chopped nuts to finish.
You can add all kinds of flavors, including hazelnut, peppermint, plain, etc.
You can also roll these in nuts, confectioners sugar, etc.
Since this can be messy, you might want to wear latex gloves while rolling the truffles.